9.10.2012

Shop Shocked!


So, I went to my first Woodworking class last week {affectionately referred to as shop class - what else?!}  Guess what?  You'll never guess in a million years.  My instructor, who was a shop teacher for local high schools for many many years {drum roll}...has ALL his fingers!  I was stunned - I thought it was an urban legend that they existed.  He wears his wedding band on his pinkie finger which I find fascinating!

Shop Class - Take One!...We learned all about lumber, from forestry to sawmills, to drying the boards, the condition of the boards, the nomenclature, hardwoods vs. softwoods, etc.  In case you are lying awake in bed at night debating on log sawing methods - plane sawn wood gives you prettier grain {all lovely and curvy} BUT quarter sawn wood is less likely to warp {vertical grain}.  Now you can rest easy {you're welcome}.

Did you know hardwood trees typically loose their leaves in the winter and softwoods do not?  Yep, I cannot lie.  AND, rough lumber is sized by thickness and yard lumber {yes, the kind you get at a lumber yard - duh} is sized by dimension.  I was on the edge of my seat all night!

Loved it, loved it - and on deck for tomorrow night, learning how to square up a board, use the various saws and tools, etc.  If a woodchuck could chuck wood...oh who cares!

image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

No comments: