9.29.2012

If I Can...You Can


What do you do with 40 lbs. of tomatoes?

  • Option 1) Go to open mic night at a comedy club
  • Option 2) Make an "uh-oh I've been sprayed by a skunk" bath
  • Option 3) Can them

My parents had gone to the beach to pick a ton of fresh tomatoes.  Yes, they drive to the beach in the morning, pick tons of tomatoes {and pick up fresh fish and shrimp-YUM!}, and drive home.  Weird I know to spend 8 total hours driving but to them it's worth it as they appreciate the homegrown variety {as their garden doesn't produce near the amount they need.}  Therefore, tons of tomatoes that need a nice warm home; well I gave them one.

Yes folks, today I finally learned the fine art of canning.  Apparently there are two types of canners - people that can, and people that don't can.  I come from a canning family but I've never really paid that much attention to all the steps.  So today, I finally told my mother that I wanted to do it myself, of course with her instruction.   I successfully canned seven quarts of fresh tomatoes that will eventually be used in soups and sauces.  You would not believe the difference in these tomatoes and the bland, but I know sometimes necessary, store bought cans.  No preservatives, no chemicals, just the soothing sound of {POP!} when the lids seal.  Music to my ears.

Now that I know how easy canning is {yet a bit time consuming but worth it}, my goal is to have a huge pantry filled with fresh canned tomatoes, beets, green beans, salsa...chocolate {just kidding, but I would if I could.}  Anyway, one more thing to check off my simplicity checklist.  I {heart} mason jars, I really really do!

image courtesy of me

No comments: